Federal Student Loan Programs
The primary source of funding for students
Northwestern College requires students who wish to be considered for these programs, to complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. You are encouraged to apply for these programs even if you think you may not qualify for much aid. Additionally, some of these programs have limited funds and are awarded to students on a first-come, first-served basis. Early FAFSA filers could have an advantage, so it is important to file your FAFSA form as soon as you can to ensure you receive the maximum aid possible.
Northwestern College offers the following major federal programs:
- Federal Pell Grant - Eligible students at Northwestern College who have not received a Bachelor's degree may receive this grant based on financial need from your FAFSA application. Federal Pell is a grant that does not need to be repaid. Click here for Information about Federal Pell Grants from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Federal SEOG Grant - Pell-eligible students (see above) at Northwestern College may also be eligible for an additional grant under this program. Click here for Information about Federal SEOG Grants from the U.S. Department of Education. Awards are limited to those with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFC's) from their FAFSA applications.
- Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) - Pell-Eligible students who attend Northwestern College immediately after completing a "rigorous" high school curriculum may be eligible for an additional grant based on academic performance. Click here for Information about ACG from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Federal Work-Study Program - A limited number of part-time jobs are available on-campus or near campus through the Federal work-study program. Students must meet the basic eligibility requirements and have financial need. Click here for Information about Federal Work-Study from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program - All eligible students at Northwestern College are able to borrow a traditional “student loan” from the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Programs. The interest accrued on these loans may be subsidized and/or unsubsidized.Click here for Information about Stafford Student Loans from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Federal Direct PLUS Loans for Parents Program - The parents of dependent students at Northwestern College are generally able to borrow a parent PLUS loan from the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program. Parents can borrow up to the full cost of education (minus any other aid received). Click here for Information about Parent PLUS Loans from the U.S. Department of Education.M