The Northwestern College Violet L. Schumacher School of Nursing has specific admission requirements. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all of the requirements are met and all supporting documents are submitted. Only complete application files will be reviewed for admission.
Once the college determines that a student has satisfied Provisional Admission Requirements 1-3 above, a deposit of $200 is required in order to secure his/her name on the wait list for the next admissions cycle. Final admission to the program is dependent upon completion of Provisional Admission Requirements 4–10 below.
4. Letter of recommendation on company letterhead from an instructor, academic advisor, employer or community member who can comment on the applicant’s background and/or character.
5. Submission of a statement of purpose addressing personal and professional goals as related to becoming a professional registered nurse.
6. Current American Heart Association Provider level CPR certification.
7. Major medical insurance coverage.
8. Background check including sanctions check under the US Patriot Act.
9. 10 panel drug screen.
10. Immunization for diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, polio; titer levels for rubella, rubeola, mumps, varicella and hepatitis B demonstrating immunity; 2-step TB test with chest X-ray for positive results.
Full admission to the nursing program is based on review of the above items submitted in a completed admission file.
Students are not permitted to attend a patient care clinical without submitting evidence of the following prior to the first day of class each quarter:
Northwestern College may, at its sole discretion, accept credit for classes taken at an accredited college or university if the grade earned is a C or higher, the class is college-level and credit-bearing, and is equivalent to a course taught at NC in the student's program. Unless permission is received in advance from the vice president of academic affairs or designee, a student may not transfer credits after he/she begins classes at Northwestern College (NC Catalog).
Institutional residency requirements must be met (degree seeking students must complete their last 50 quarter credit hours and 50 percent of their major hour requirements in residence at NC). Students must demonstrate proficiency, skills, and/or knowledge by satisfactorily completing an online cometency assessment.
To get started, contact the Office of Admissions at the Bridgeview campus to make an appointment with an admissions representative at (708) 237-5000 or toll-free at (888) 534-1623. During your appointment you will be given program information that will include the admission steps, a tour of the nursing lab, and a chance to meet the nursing faculty and the dean of nursing.